Tuesday

Brokenhearted


Last Friday, my friend left this world for the next. All those questions I have about heaven have been answered for him. As happy as he was on earth, I can only imagine the pure joy he is experiencing now.

Not so for the poor wretches he left behind. Even though it's been almost two years since I've seen Jim, knowing it is no longer an option the next time I journey out to Colorado is beyond sad. Far worse is the grief that must be pulsing through his wife's heart. He and Brenda would have celebrated their fifth anniversary in October.

But I imagine she will always carry his amazing love for her. A few years ago, while visiting them in Littleton, the two told me how much they liked the movie "The Notebook." Jim became particularly emotional as he remembered a speech near the beginning of the movie that he especially related to: "I am no one special. Just a common man with common thoughts. I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten. But in one respect I have succeeded as gloriously as anyone who ever lived. I've loved another with all my heart and soul and for me, that has always been enough."

Add his love for Brenda with his love for God and passion for life, and I submit that this man was far from common.


He will be missed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I finally looked up your blog, although I wondered why I thought of it tonight, after putting it off for so long. Then I read your most recent blog, and I guess I knew why. God must have known you needed to hear a friend say, "I'm sorry, and I'm aware of your pain, and you have my prayers." Glad He works the way He does. Love ya!
--Deborah W.

Angel said...

My dearest friend....you heart never ceases to amaze me and how your walk with Him is so reflected in your words. Know that my heart and conversations with God have you in them.
I love you, and miss you greatly.